For original equipment manufacturer (OEM) and military applications around the world, operational success requires reliable data delivery. This 100 percent achievable with rugged wireless radio solutions. As Industrial IoT pushes for more connectivity, coupled with the surge in commercial use of unmanned aerial systems (UAS), the pressure for around the clock command and control (C2) links is higher than ever – and it’s happening on a global scale. To support these growing needs, FreeWave has announced the general availability of the MM2-5 Watt 1.3 GHz (13X5W) integrated radio.
Offered in a small package for ease of integration, the MM2-13X5W features an external 5 Watt output, making it ideal for UAS, OEM and military applications where reliability is paramount and space is at a premium. These solutions can be leveraged to deliver important data in the U.S. and abroad for a wide variety of mission critical applications.
The MM2-13X5W has a lot to offer starting with it’s built in versatility and the ability to function as a gateway, endpoint, repeater or endpoint/repeater. Security is a priority – each MM2 13X5W is equipped with proprietary frequency hopping spread spectrum (FHSS) technology. It also features a line-of-sight range of up to 90 miles, and can be deployed in international settings where lifesaving communications and security are paramount. A number of these use cases include UAS applications, soldier training, environmental monitoring and other government and defense needs.
Next Generation UAS Applications
As the commercial drone market rapidly expands, the number of use cases is filtering into new markets. Beyond the military scope, commercial UAS applications have the potential to completely transform the monitoring, control and data analysis processes for many industries. The MM2-13X5W is equipped to support this next wave of these UAS applications, including:
- Pipeline monitoring as a service – drones can help maintain safe and consistent visibility of the pipeline and deliver that critical data to the network. The small form factor and proven reliability means uninterrupted data transmission in remote settings.
- Homeland security apps – recently, in the U.S., there have been many heated conversations around border protection. Many drone supporters believe that UAS can offer a cost effective way to monitor the nations borders. The U.S. border patrol even recently solicited contractors to build facial recognition drones.
- Drone delivery service – As we look at the future use of commercial UAS, drone delivery is a popular topic of conversation. We’re also seeing use cases where drones can deliver food and medicals supplies to high risk areas in third world countries.
- Precision Agriculture: Drones can enhance crop visibility, enabling smarter decisions and more food output. The potential impact of drones in precision agriculture is becoming recognized throughout the world.
As the possibilities for commercial UAS continue to multiply, so does the need for secure C2 links for successful operations – and this is where the MM2-13X5W is an ideal solution.
Additional Product Features
The MM2-13x5W also features the following:
- 115.2 and 153.6 kbps selectable RF data rates
- TDMA, Super Epoch TDMA, and AES Encryption
- Performance tests from -40 degrees Celsius to +85 degrees Celsius
- Data link range up to 90 miles
For more information about the MM2-13X5W, please visit: http://www.freewave.com/mm2-m13-series/